Ear position ‘unknown’ - hardware problem?
Question 
Under System Information -> Hardware I see listed:
Code :
Left ear    ok (position unknown)
Right ear    ok (position=10)

... is this normal, or does this indicate a software or hardware issue?

Running the Ears Hardware test doesn't seem to change things at all.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose or fix?

Does not having the position data from one ear significantly affect the operation of my Nabaztag?  What am I losing?

If it's a hardware problem (as sounds likely) is there a replacement guide?  What part(s) are needed?

Thanks in advance!
Répondre
Hi,

Welcome to the forum. There was several topics in French about this topic. What I remember is it can be:
* the ear can be plugged the wrong way
* the ear position probe being flaky or damaged
* the TagTagTag card having a defect

If nobody more experienced chime in, I will dig some commands to run (if you have SSH activated). Before that, it is easy to check again the ears plugs and potentially switch them to see if it is the ear or the card.

The good news is that: even with crippled ear, your rabbit can live a happy life and will do everything (expect being 100% accurate for the choreography).
Répondre
(07-30-2020, 12:27 PM)Commit-La-Grenouille a écrit : Hi,

Welcome to the forum. There was several topics in French about this topic. What I remember is it can be:
* the ear can be plugged the wrong way
* the ear position probe being flaky or damaged
* the TagTagTag card having a defect

If nobody more experienced chime in, I will dig some commands to run (if you have SSH activated). Before that, it is easy to check again the ears plugs and potentially switch them to see if it is the ear or the card.

The good news is that: even with crippled ear, your rabbit can live a happy life and will do everything (expect being 100% accurate for the choreography).

Sorry for the delay in replying - I wanted to reboot my bunny (and enable SSH) and I've only just had time to!

I did have a search on the forum before posting but I'm afraid - likely because of my poor comprehension of the French language - I wasn't able to find anything... apologies for that.

If you could point me in the direction of any nabaztag-specific commands accessible by SSH, that'd be great!

After rebooting, the left ear was still showing as 'unknown'.  I ran the Ears hardware test (does this update the position reading on the page?), and there was no difference.  I swapped the ears (is there a specific left and right?) and re-ran the test - again, nothing seemed to chance.  I then manually repositioned both ears... and now both are showing a position!

Whether or not this is a one-off remains to be seen... and, I guess, perhaps points to any fault (if there is one) being with the motor assembly?

(What mechanism is used to determine ear position - an optical rotary encoder or similar?)

Cheers,

Stuart
Répondre
Hi Stuart,

No problem we cannot all speak every language on earth (sometimes we may wish Wink ).
I did a quick search and found one topic discussing the subject (https://www.tagtagtag.fr/forum/showthread.php?tid=34).

So basically, the ears driver will put in the kernel logs information about the ears in usage including any problem.

Mechanically speaking, if the ears move at boot time but not after it possibly the optical encoder and if they do not it can be the motor itself.

To do some more testing on the encoder part you need to install wiringpi and use the gpio command to check the ear (23 and 24):
Code :
sudo apt install wiringpi

gpio -g read 23

FYI, the value should be 1 when the ear is stopped on one of the steps and 0 when in-between. If you trigger a TaiChi from the web ui, you should see the value alternate as the ear is moving (otherwise the encoder is to blame).

And so if swapping the ears control cables on the tagtagtag card did not change the ear reporting the problem, you may need to change the encoder (and I will try and dig the subject about that).
Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)